About the workshop:
This workshop is suitable for individuals who wish to explore and hone their skills on sketching the urban environment around us. This workshop consists of a series of 4 indoors and outdoors sessions that will take participants through the fundamentals of sketching buildings and the environment in the casual style of ink-and-wash technique. Participants will also learn observational sketching on-location through close mentoring and advice from the instructor. No prior urban sketching experience is required.
- Lesson 1 (Indoors)
- Welcome and introduction
- Gears talk – all you want to know and dare not ask
- The Big4 of urban sketching – building, plants, people and vehicles
- Perspective sketching made simple for buildings and vehicles
- Sketching a street scene from reference photo
- Lesson 2 (Outdoors)
- On-location sketching with demo by instructor
- Sketching with perspectives in real life
- Simplifying your sketch
- The art of composition
- Coaching and sketching tips
- Lesson 3 (Indoors)
- Sketching plants and people
- Introduction to watercolors
- Mastering the common watercolor techniques
- Understanding tonal values
- “Washing” (painting) your sketch with watercolors
- Working with layers in watercolors
- Lesson 4 (Outdoors)
- On-location sketching and watercoloring with demo by instructor
- Applying various techniques learnt to complete an on-location sketch
- Critique, coaching and tips from instructor
- Workshop wrap up
About the Instructor:
Thain Lin is a self-taught urban sketcher and experienced artist cum trainer. On weekdays, Thain Lin manages and runs IT projects in a large professional business services firm. On weekends and during his leisure time, he passionately indulges in the process of creating artworks as a means of visually communicating and documenting the urban space around him. He usually paints in his favourite mediums of ink and watercolors of his pet architecture subjects – heritage buildings and shophouses, accompanied by lucious greenery and distinctive human figures. He also enjoys meeting people and helps his clients to paint their homes and favourite places. It’s almost a cliché to say that art is a way to communicate happiness, and that is evidently shown in Thain Lin’s artworks. You can also view Thain Lin’s prolific artworks via his Instagram account, @thainlin.
– In line with the PDPA regulations, during the lesson, TASA Gallery will be taking photographs and recording video of the workshop. By registering this workshop, participants are deemed to have given consent to be photographed, videoed or recorded in these medium as may be necessary for purposes such as publicity, illustration, advertising and web consent.
Venue: TASA GALLERY ART STUDIO – Kong Beng Industrial Building @ 41 Jalan Pemimpim, #01-04 Singapore 577186
There are no reviews yet.